I live very far from most of my family members which means that they incur quite the cost when they come visit me. That is one reason why it it is so important to me to make sure my house guests feel as comfortable as possible. In addition to making sure I have some favorite foods in the house for the guests, I also try to make items of comfort easily accessible so that they don’t feel the need to ask for them, that includes everything from posting my wifi password to keeping plenty of fresh towels within reach.
Five Tips for Making Your House Guests Feel More Comfortable
Whenever I have guests in my home I try to make them feel as comfortable as possible… I can’t really get my kids to stop screaming in the morning quite yet, but I can at least stock some favorite items and provide some amenities. See my five favorite tips for making your house more welcoming for house guests:
- Make necessary items, such as towels, accessible. While some people may really enjoy searching through other people’s cupboards, it makes most people uncomfortable. Keep freshly laundered towels, hand towels, and washcloths easy to access and in view for your guest to grab as needed.
- Post your wifi password. Wifi is basically necessary these days. Make the wifi password easy for your house guests to find so that when they finally have time to unwind at the end of the day they aren’t knocking on your bedroom door for a password.
- Stock your guests favorite snacks and foods. When guests are feeling peckish it is nice to have something familiar and favorited ready for them to enjoy. Find out a few of their favorite breakfast items or snack items and make sure that they are in view and accessible.
- Have basic toiletries on hand. One of the great benefits of visiting a hotel is being able to easily replace basic toiletries when forgotten. Keep travel sized versions of hypo-allergenic non-scented toiletries such as shampoo, conditioner, and soap. I like to also have toothpaste and toothbrushes on hand. These too you’ll want to leave in an accessible place for your guests to use as needed.
- Give house guests some time to themselves. Your house guests obviously want to see you when they come all the way out (whether it be a few miles or across the country) but, they are still spending precious vacation and travel time to visit. Make sure that they don’t feel obligated to spend every minute with you by letting them know times when you will be out and about. Give them some incentive to explore by providing some tickets to local sites or even a travel guide with favorite locations marked.
Use printables to highlight items your guests are free to use!
I created these fun, tongue-in-cheek printables to decorate items in our home and small guest gifts for them. I think they were a hit!Get your free printables by clicking the link at the bottom of this post. And, if you like them… I’d appreciate it if you Pinned, Tweeted, Instagrammed, or Facebooked them! (Share them easily by clicking on the social network you like to use up on the left of this post!) It really makes my day.
Printables and photos shared with permission from original post, “Free Printables: House Guest Welcome” via A Well Crafted Party.
Free House Guest Welcome Printables
- 1 set of Hydrate Printables & 1 set of circles including “Night Cap Kit,” “Midnight Snack Attack Kit,” “Dragon Breath,” and “Break in Case of Shower.”
- Door Hangers
- Wifi Name and Password 8X10 Print
- Click the image above to select your downloads.
- Print your selections on cardstock and cut out. I use a 2 inch hole punch for the circles and scissors for the rest. Attach items with ribbon & hole punches, glue dots, tape, or hot glue!
How I used them:
- Hydrate Printables: I used them as water bottle labels. I attached these with some glue dots. You could also use some double sided tape or cut these into little tags.
- Night Cap Kit: I used these with some calming hot teas by gluing the circle to a spoon and arranging them in a cup. This would also be a great addition to a small travel bottle of liquor!
- Midnight Snack Kit: I attached the circle to a box of snack-tastic goodies.
- Break in Case of Shower: These are fun for your towels, washcloths, or soap!
- Dragon Breath Printable: I attached this circle to a glass holding new toothbrushes and tooth paste.
- Door Hangers: Cut out both of the door hangers around the outside, do not cut the center line. Cut out the two door holes and the small line that allows you to widen the opening and put around door handle. Fold the two hangers in half using the thin line as your guide. Use double sided tape or glue dots to secure the fold. Hang on your guest bedroom door!
And remember, please SHARE if you enjoyed these printables!